Sunday 29 November 2009

Getting there


Okay so i decided that after years of being envious of gifted individuals, im going to learn acoustic guitar. I should admit in fear of misleading you to commend my determination, i have tried before and failed miserably at trivial basics such as plucking a string right or even reaching over the huge body of it, and with a swift severance of patience I scrapped the persuit immdediately.
I have lived in awe of those possessing unearthly talent, the greats such as Jimi Hendrix, Joe santriani, steve vai, slash and the most underrated bon jovi guitarist Richie Sambora. Therefore I believe its about time i got my name in neon lights next to theirs, so to speak.
I dubiously picked up an old, dusty and shamefully neglected set of strings and picked my brain for a half learnt tune...of all songs my memory could have chosen, i recalled the ridiculously hard guns n roses sweet child of mine. Needless to say, that session didnt last long. So i turned to what i always turn to in times of need...facebook, and posted a status regarding my fledgling hobby...soon enough i had offers from many a rocking friend offering to teach me all the wise ways and means to be a guitar god.
The next day i set off for college with a smile and carrying the trusty old guitar, on the way to meet my future bandmates. 3 hours, 3 coffees and 4 sore fingers later, i had learnt the intro to Shinedown-45 and with much persuasion and shameless begging, got said friend to write the tabs down so i could master it at home in privacy without people laughing at my pathetic excuse for strumming.
And here i am, 4 weeks later, and im just past the prechorus, yet again sick with envy after watching the talented people on youtube, not only perfecting the chords but singing along too.
My stubby digits wont stretch from fret 3 to fret 5 for the most played chord of the chorus but hey...ive learnt what a capo is, mastered a G chord and i can name every part of an acoustic (the overall name for mine is Blue, which came to me in a stroke of genius after observing the colour of its soundbox...)
One day ill rock it ;)
Ill keep you posted on my progress haha.

0 comments: